5.05.2014

Book Review: The Wednesday Wars

The Wednesday WarsThe Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Some books catch you within the first few lines and hold onto you until the book is finished. This is one of those. I have struggled lately to be interested in a book and keep reading after the first few pages... I've just lost interest. Then I picked up this book and immediately felt invested and happy to be reading it. I fell in love.

The voice of this book is so strong and well done. The characters are real and believable and complex. The plot is a mish-mash (but with constant and continuing elements that keep it cohesive), but in a way that fits. After all, it is the story of a teenage boy's life in seventh grade.

I just... I'm so impressed. The main character, Holling Hoodhood (silly name, yes?)is such a well-rounded character who is silly and serious and juvenile and mature and just everything you think a teenage boy really is. He grows and learns to stand up for himself, he learns to forgive, he learns empathy and adventure and compassion.... just. Tsk. SOOOO GOOD.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment